Welcome to Version 4 of FSElite. We’re really happy to bring you the latest version of our website. Over the past 7 years, we have worked hard to bring you a platform that brings you the latest in flight simulation news, reviews, original content and more. Our focus has always remained the same; to deliver content to the whole community by using modern tools and design.
We acknowledged that our previous version of the site had some hiccups, which is why for the past few months, we have built something fresh yet again. This time, we paid close attention to what you liked and disliked, whilst trying to keep things familiar to ensure you can still find the content you’re looking for.
Version 4 had a few goals in mind.
Version 4’s Goals
The new site had to achieve a number of goals.
- Load speedily for logged-in and logged-out users
- An improved and more consistent user-experience
- Ensure that our team can grow the site in meaningful ways in a timely fashion
- Ensure that features don’t get removed
- …not have to be rebuilt in a few weeks’ time
We’re hopeful that we have achieved all of those goals above. Further to that, we hope that we’ll be able to enrich the site with content and features more easily than ever before.
Improved Layout and Navigation
We’re keen to make sure that the site is as user-friendly as possible. We are also aware we have a lot of different types of content and finding it can be a little confusing. Both of these elements were keen to ensure that the new version is clean and easy to navigate. We have expanded the navigation bar, added a new permanent search bar, and added in clearer labelling so you can easily find the type of content you’re looking for.
One thing we are also keen to try and improve is the visibility of some of our more original content or the bigger stories in the community. This is why the home page will now feature a ‘Top Stories’ section at the top of the page, highlighting the content that is popular in the community at that time. Yes, it means a little more scrolling to get to the ‘latest’ news, but we hope you can see more of our original content that we really enjoy creating.
We celebrate all flight simulators, but also appreciate it isn’t always relatable to you specifically. You may enjoy one sim over another more, or may be more interested in aircraft products over scenery products. This is why we have now new ‘groups’ that better reflect the types of products we’re talking about. Furthermore, in each of our ‘archive’ pages, you can now use a range of sort/filter tools to find what you like.
The filter system is fast and also adds a string to your URL bar so you can bookmark it and come back any time with the same filter in place. Want to find airports specific to MSFS for Xbox by a certain developer only? Now you can.
Check it out on the latest page.
Streams are made up of individual jetstreams that create a unique feed of information all related to flight sim. We know that things happen in the community that just wouldn’t fit in with our usual cycle of news. As such, we will be using Streams in order to bring you content that doesn’t quite fit on the home page, but is still cool to know. We’ll have a focus on community content, brief developer updates, minor product updates and other cool things happening.
You can interact with these posts just like anything else, along with searching, filtering and ordering them into your own preference.
You can see more Streams here.
We’re using a whole new search engine to power how you find content on FSElite version 4. It’s hyper-aware of the latest news published and is typo-tolerant. The search bar will always be in the main navigation bar and will display relevant searches within seconds. If you need something a bit more specific, hitting ‘enter’ will take you to the main search page where you can look for anything and filter it right to your specific needs.
You can see the search bar up top.
Is back! Simply click the chevron icon in the top-right (logged in or out) and then press the ‘sun’ or ‘moon’ icon to change theme.
As announced, all user accounts have been removed from this site. You will need to re-register.
Whilst this is frustrating, it’s something we can not sadly avoid. Due to using all new tools, we cannot transfer your data across.
Making an account will be just as easy. You can register an account with basic login details or you can use a Social account (Facebook, Discord, Twitter or Google). You will need to re-verify your email, but once done, you will have a new myFSElite account.
Please drop a comment or email us with your feedback via the contact form. We’re listening and keen to make sure FSElite serves as the ultimate resource of flight sim news for the whole community.
- NEW – Whole new layout with refreshed palette colours and fonts
- NEW – ‘Top Stories’ section on the home page that will allow big stories and original content to thrive
- NEW – Search experience is meaningful and typo-tolerant.
- NEW – Filter systems on all archive pages (filter and sort by date, sim, group, developer, etc)
- NEW – Jetstream page to allow FSElite to post smaller stories without clogging up the home page
- NEW – Persistent login – will stay logged in for 365 after each login (can also see login locations and log out of individual devices)
- NEW – All posts from all site iterations are available (although formatting is questionable on older articles)
- NEW – Apple News integration
- Improved navigation
- Improved categories for a more consistent experience
- Improved user register/login experience with more privacy options
- Improved dark mode
- Improved commenting system
- Improved ad-placements (still non-intrusive)
- Improved video pages
- Improved 2FA
- Improved cookie consent