Back in June, we announced a brand new product: DCTRY (pronounced ‘directory’). It’s been a few weeks since FSExpo, but we’ve been busy hard at work on DCTRY reviewing and implementing community feedback. We’d like to take a brief moment to talk about some things that we’ve changed, improved, and polished since June.
- When’s the invite only beta? The invite beta is ever approaching and we want to remind you that if you go to DCTRY.net you can sign up with your email to be on the invite-only beta team. We can’t give out beta access to everyone who signs up of course, but if you have a particular talent or skill you think would be useful during the beta period, please do get in touch.
- Airplanes? While we are considering adding airplanes under the scope of DCTRY, at the moment we want to focus on scenery and getting the site into your hands before we seriously consider expanding outwards. We wouldn’t want to be caught in an endless loop of delays like some products we’ve seen lately…
- Are you going to integrate with XYZ? We have some plans to integrate with 3rd party tools in the future but at the moment we can’t discuss any of them. Be sure that you’re going to see DCTRY all over the place though!
- We are also working with multiple well-known flight sim personalities to create some cool ways for them to share with their community what products they own via DCTRY. Pretty nifty!
- We’re planning out scope for future features. If you’re interested in helping development, do reach out via our Contact form or by emailing me at calum [@] dctry [dot] net.
We’ve also got a fresh new style on the homepage, with a more refined design than what was shown during our presentation.
But what is it?
DCTRY will be the airport map and search engine of the future. Our goal is to provide the easiest way to find your next airport add-on for modern flight simulators. It will be easy to use, free for all and powerful.
Whether you’re looking for a product under $25, that has a challenging approach by your favourite developer, DCTRY will allow you to do that. Perhaps you don’t know what you’re looking for – if so our ‘Inspire Me’ tool will enable you to search hundreds of products to seek out your next purchase.
DCTRY will create themed routes for you to try!
Each product comes with its own detailed product page. Sharing everything with you from developer and airport information, to download size, latest version number and simulator compatibility. DCTRY also syncs up with FSElite’s database to bring you the latest news specific to that airport. We’re also excited to have multiple currencies displayed for each price allowing users all over the world to know what their next product will cost in their local currency.
Registered community members will also be able to enjoy features just for them. Our MyDCTRY system will allow you to save any airport from our database to your personal list so you can easily see which airports you own in your simulator. Community members will also be able to review any product within the database and share their own images of their experience to help other members of the flight sim community know which products are worth buying. In the future, we’ll also allow registered members access to our live pricing feature, which will gather live information from multiple stores and feed it directly into DCTRY.
Developers will also be able to use DCTRY. Developers will be able to upload their very own product listings through our easy-to-use form and update them as and when information is required. Developers can also track their product stats through the helpful dashboard, seeing information such as unique views, total clicks and more. Finally, developers will be able to allow their products to stand out above the rest with our promotional offers.
DCTRY is just in its infancy with more to come. We’re evolving with your feedback and will continue to implement new and fresh ways to interact with your scenery library. With over 600 airports currently in the database and with many more to come, DCTRY will be the most complete airport add-on directory ever made for flight sim.
How can I help support DCTRY?
We’re always looking for talented individuals to support us and the development of DCTRY. If you have any skills which you think will be able to help us, get in touch either via our contact form above, or with calum [@] dctry [dot] net.
I’m a developer! How can I sign up?
We’ll be reaching out to developers very soon with information and we’ll also need your support.