Scenery developer X-Codr Designs has announced they were working on an Airport Enhancement Package for default X-Plane airports. The package aims at replacing the majority of default X-Plane airports buildings and textures, and limited regionalization of the airport buildings and vegetation. This overall targets at increasing immersion on most airports. This global package will be compatible with other similar popular add-ons such as MisterX’s AEHD or ALES.
- Most individual airport buildings replaced with new ultra-detailed models
- Most airport facades replaced with new ultra-detailed models
- Most building models feature nearly 4 pixel per inch resolution and lite interiors
- Most “clutter” models replaced with new realistic higher resolution models
- Most default airport sim objects (beacons, taxi signs, etc) replaced with new higher resolution versions
- Many ground vehicles replaced with higher resolution variants
- All tree objects replaced with new realistic high performance 3d trees
- All default pavement replaced with new realistic 4 pixel per inch resolution pavement
- All default markings replaced with new UHD markings
- All ground textures (except the non-polygon ground textures) and buildings feature accurate and realistic PBR Normal maps
- All ground textures have been specially designed to minimize repetition, including use of large-scale decals and custom mipmaps
- All models feature advanced LOD technology to maximize detail while creating a minimal performance impact
- Ground textures feature optional weather effects
- Vegetation features optional seasonal effects
- All models and textures are made to resemble the default models as closely as possible, so you see exactly what the author intended, except in a higher level of details and resolution.
- Limited regionalization replaces certain models, textures, and vegetation to give different parts of the world a unique and realistic feel
- AEP will not replace the old style terminals as they are being phased out; AEP will not replace Terminal Kit as Terminal Kit already looks fantastic
- AEP will not replace the old style jetways as they are being phased out; AEP will not replace Jetway Kit as Jetway Kit already looks fantastic
- AEP will not take a default airport that is 2d and make it 3d nor will it add extra objects to an airport. AEP replaces textures and objects, it does not add them.
- AEP will only add normal maps/weather effects to polygon pavement, the pavement that is made placed via an apt.dat can not have these effects added by any add-on unfortunately. If this changes in the future. AEP will quickly add this feature set to apt.dat pavement.
The developer has shared many screenshots of various improved airports ; you will find a selection of them below.