Orbx is back with another airfield for Microsoft Flight Simulator in the UK, but this time visiting the west coast of Wales. Caernarfon Airport (EGCK) is being developed by iconic Orbx developer Tony Wroblewski and has been created with real-world photography from on-site visits.
The airport sits not far from the historic town of Caernarfon and offers a quick flight to the stunning Snowdonia National Park and other rural locations within Wales. Caernarfon Airport also serves as the base for the Welsh Search and Rescue and Air Ambulance teams, meaning you can simulate some exciting and possibly dangerous flights across the district. In addition, the airport is just a short flight to urban areas such as Liverpool and Manchester in England if you after a hop to the city.
Thanks to the number of site visits and support from the airport, Tony has been able to recreate the airport accurately in Microsoft Flight Simulator. Each part of the airport has been hand-crafted for the most immersive experience and dynamic people and animals help create an authentic atmosphere at the small airport. Detailed 3D fencing, signage and equipment also closely matches the real-world airports. Of course, PBR has been used in the texturing of the airport buildings and Tony has worked to ensure the airport seamlessly blends in with the nearby terrain. POIS surrounding the airport such as Morfa Holiday Park and Fort Belan have also been added.
Tony, nor anyone from Orbx, has indicated when the product will be released, but judging by the previews, we believe it will be sooner than later. You can read the full feature list below. Also, there are additional previews of the airport over on the Orbx forums.
The announcement of Caernarfon Airport comes after Orbx released both Shoreham and Elstree Airport for the simulator.
- Bespoke hand-painted ground textures for the immediate airport area
- Dynamic people and animals that will change based on time of year and day.
- High definition, hand-crafted 30cm/px imagery for the surrounding area
- Custom and unique built ground vehicles and aircraft
- Accurately and superbly modelled buildings
- Detailed 3D fencing, signage and equipment
- High definition hand-crafted PBR materials for the airport buildings
- Historic RAF Llandwrog buildings
- Surrounding POIs such as Morfa Holiday Park, Fort Belan and farmland buildings
- Optimized for best performance and works seamlessly with World Update 3 and our UK North POI region.