Update: Active Sky for Prepar3D is now available as an open-beta download. You can head to the download page right now to get your copy. Remember, if you own ASP4, then you can transfer your license to ASP3D for free during the open-beta phase (due to last 2-3 weeks)
== Original Article on May 7th 2020 @ 09:11z ==
HiFi Sim Tech has announced its plans for bringing the popular weather engine, Active Sky, to Prepar3D v5. This all-new version of the product will have all-new features, advanced technology and will work with the all-new trueSKY engine in Prepar3D v5.
Active Sky Prepar3D (known as ASP3D) builds upon previous versions of the weather engine the systems being completely redesigned for the software. Some new features include the fact that the software is now installed in the P3D add-on folder, along with improved networking capabilities along with improved wind smoothing for higher frequency force actuation and an organic feel. In addition, ASP3D will also include major changed to the data network, weather synthesis, interpolation and others with vastly improved performance and stability. Whilst this new software is focused on Prepar3D v5 compatibility, it will also work with Prepar3D v4.
Alongside the new features, Active Sky Cloud Art will also work with the software and it will still include many of the functionality aspects seen from past versions of Active Sky.
In terms of release dates and pricing, HiFi Sim Tech has explained exactly how people can get this new product. In the next day or so, an open-beta version of Active Sky for Prepar3D will be released. During this limited time, users on ASP4 will be able to upgrade for free. Only during this open beta phase (expected to be roughly 2-3 weeks) will people be able to upgrade for free. To upgrade, you will need to register an account to create an ASP3D profile using the ASP4 license. After that time, it’s not clear exactly how or if people can upgrade or if there will just be a single separate purchase.
If you’re looking to upgrade but don’t yet own ASP4, you can do so via the HiFi Sim Tech website (via any of their trusted vendors).
There are some known issues with the software at present, but nothing too game-breaking to be considered an issue. However, as with any open-beta software, take caution. Full details can be found on their website.
- New P3D add-on folder specification/design, with everything installed outside of the P3D folders – Includes ASCA support (with SP3 Update)
- New networking design eliminating the need for SimConnect configuration in networked environments – Just install ASP3D, install the included Connector on the server machine, configure your shared paths, and go!
- New XGauge universal design that works for any aircraft without needing to install into panels – New reworked airborne radar mode visualization with radial signal processing + multiple radar usage capability (you can now use multiple AS Radar API add-on radar displays together along with XGauge airborne radar mode all at the same time)
- Wind smoothing redesigned for higher frequency force actuation and organic feel
- New Prepar3D v5 integration with all the standard functionality you’d expect from the ActiveSky weather engine
- Works with both P3Dv5 and P3Dv4
- Works in both standard mode and new “Enhanced Atmospherics (beta)” mode with P3Dv5 – See below for EA limitations
- New P3D add-on specification design with all items installed outside of the P3D folders
- New Universal XGauge design that works for all aircraft at any time without requiring panel additions
- New networking design that eliminates the need for SimConnect configuration or use between clients and server – Just install ASP3D on the client, the included AS P3D Connector Installer on the server, make sure your networked shares are configured, and go
- Includes ASCA integration for cloud and sky graphics enhancements with dynamic cloud and sky texture variation, now working fully outside the P3D folder using the new add-on specification design – ASCA works in default depiction mode and does not work with the Enhanced Atmospherics mode in P3Dv5
- Major enhancements to the data network, weather synthesis, interpolation, and other core weather simulation and depiction technologies – now with much increased performance, stability and availability
- Includes the most advanced version of our award-winning core weather engine and weather data services, being refined now for over 20 years