Every now and then a piece of freeware scenery comes along that compares, and sometimes exceeds, payware products. In this particular instance, user Liiiam over on FlightSim.to has crafted a wonderful recreation of Stansted Airport (EGSS) for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
The feature list itself is massive and covers plenty of information on what you can find in this freeware scenery. As mentioned earlier, this is a complete rendition of the airport in the current 2020 state, including all of the construction happening. This also means that ground markings, taxiway naming and gate numbers are all correct. Developer Liiiam has created a number of high-quality 3D models throughout including the main and satellite terminals, cargo terminals, Ryanair’s hangar and much more. Along with the incredible-looking buildings is bespoke texturing complete with weathering and environmental effects for a more life-like appearance.
The download also comes with animated vehicles, an animated passenger transit system and also plenty of clutter around the airport depicting the airlines and services at Stansted Airport.
Whilst Liiiam has already done an impressive job with the airport, he has also highlighted areas that can be improved. For example, he lists that the runway textures could be better, along with improving the ground elevation in some areas. There is also talk of possible versions with no static aircraft, improved modelling of hangars in the private airfield and also increasing the size of taxiway and runway signage.
London Stansted (EGSS) is an important hub for the UK and serves plenty of destinations around Europe. It also has a huge presence for cargo operations if that’s your type of flying.
- High quality and accurate 3D models of the main terminal, satellite terminals, NATS tower, Cargo terminals (TNT, Royal Mail, FedEx), Ryanair Hangar, Diamond Hangar.
- All assets are well textured (including night lighting)
- Bespoke & highly detailed 3D models placed around each and every gate, including signage and custom baggage vehicles.
- Gates functional using the default moving ramps (Which are similar enough to the ones used at Stansted.
- Some 3D interiors (Mostly satellite terminals and in ATC tower)
- Animated vehicles throughout (baggage carts, transit system, air-side buses and terminal buses)
- Custom static aircraft – 737-800 Ryanair & Jet2
- Accurate custom ground markings, apron textures and taxi-markings are hand-placed
- Accurate taxiway naming, works with the default ATC.
- Up-to-date 2020 constructions including the new Apron E, Multi-Story car park and realistic construction site
- Hampton by Hilton and Radisson Blu hotels, and Enterprise House police station all animated in detail with animated flags
- Immersive clutter, debris and grime textures around each gate
- Placed the parking sopts from scratch to reflect real gate numbers
- Animated passenger transit system outside Main Terminal, which takes passengers to the satellite terminals
- Accurate, worn runway texturing with lifelike tire markings in the touch down zone. Unfortunately due to Asobo’s texture system, there are limitations in making the skid marks & grime go over the runway markings
- Much more accurate landscaping around the entire airport, including on runway
- Thousands of hand-placed objects from the default MSFS library, particularly around the private hangars (which are not [yet?] bespokely modelled)
- PBR & nighttime emission texturing throughout