Orbx has released Essendon Airport for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Following a few weeks of teasing and previews, Orbx’s home airport has been digitised for the simulator platform.
Orbx has developed Essendon Airport as part of the airport’s centenarian birthday celebrations. Essendon Fields Airport started initially as Melbourne’s main airport but was overtaken by the larger Melbourne International Airport. That said, Essendon Fields still serves as an important location for the city with numerous corporate jets still flying in and out of the airport. The airport also serves as an important base for numerous flying clubs for those looking to get their PPL and other licences.
Not only has Orbx taken extreme care and attention in bringing the airport to life, but they have also recreated many parts of the interior modelling, including Orbx’s very own offices. Other features include high-quality PBR texturing, crisp orthoimagery, static objects throughout and also accurate runway profiles. Orbx was assisted by Essendon Fields Airport to help create this realistic rendition of the airport.
Whilst this release is for Microsoft Flight Simulator, a Prepar3D and X-Plane 11 version is coming soon.
- Accurate depiction of YMEN Essendon Airport
- High-quality PBR textures used throughout
- Custom groundpoly with runway profiles
- Crisp orthoimagery supplied by Aerometrex
- Custom static Skycrane, AMSA Challenger and VICPOL/HEMS AW-139s
- Interior ground floor modelling of terminal
- Animated crossing gate
- Includes the EF Auto Precinct and DFO retail area
- New Bombardier hangar
- Developed with the assistance of Essendon Fields Airport