Orbx is returning to Australia with Cityscape Sydney for Microsoft Flight Simulator. This is the first product released by Orbx for the region in Microsoft Flight Simulator and Orbx are keen to show off how the technology can continue to push the boundaries of what is possible in the simulator and to build upon the base world. The product has been in development for over nine months and is a huge project for developer Frank Schnibben.
The scenery has been created to add over 250km squared of brand new aerial imagery that has been colour balanced and edited to blend in perfectly. Cityscape Sydney adds thousands of models including ultra-high detailed objects that have been said to “rival airport terminals” in terms of the amount of detail. In particular, Sydney Harbour Bridge has been recreated in stunning detail and quality and is the focus of the scenery package.
Cityscape Sydney will also feature over 100 PBR landmarks across the Sydney metro area, and also over 28,000 replacement buildings with correct heights and building types; far beyond what the AI can generate. Additionally, thousands of objects have been placed to bring the harbour to life, numerous changes to the vegetation and also improvements to the night lighting.
Finally, major suburban centers such as Parramatta, Chatswood and many more have been replaced in the simulator to bring even more detail to the area. Port Botany has also been overhauled to ensure that anyone flying into Sydney Airport will be treated to a vastly improved experience.
This is the first of many scenery packages coming from Orbx that will be focused on Australian cities and airports. More details will come in the following weeks.
You can see a range of other screenshots on the Orbx forums. Once we know when the product will release, we’ll let you know. There’s also a great comparison tool on the forums so that you can see the visual differences between the default Sydney area and the Orbx Cityscape Sydney product.
Cityscape Sydney Features
- Our first Australian scenery for MSFS
- An entire Cityscape covering the City of Sydney
- Airport terminal-quality Hero Assets such as the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- 103 Custom PBR landmarks across the Sydney metro area
- 28,000 replacement buildings with corrected heights, footprints and building types
- 250km2 of pristine custom aerial imagery – perfectly colour balanced and hand-edited
- Thousands of placed objects to bring the Harbour City to life
- Stunning night lighting
- Replacement watermasking for more accurate coastlines
- Improved tree heights in select locations
- Improved suburban centres and POIs beyond the primary coverage zone
- Port Botany recreated
- From acclaimed developer Frank Schnibben, with assistance from our in-house team