It’s a great week for warbird pilots. Not only did FlyingIron Simulations release their F6F Hellcat for MSFS, but 1C Game Studios has also released IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Normandy earlier this week. Battle of Normandy is the next chapter in IL-2’s Great Battles series, which started with Battle of Stalingrad and has since seen several additions such as Battle of Moscow, Battle of Kuban and Battle of Bodenplatte.
Battle of Normandy, together with update 5.001, contains several new features and additions to the simulator. Most important are two new maps, situated in Northern France and Southern England. Both maps come in two variations: before and after D-Day. Battle of Normandy also features a new career mode, covering 3 countries, 5 phases, 17 frontline states, 225 historical squadrons, 103 of which can be joined by you as player. Planes have been updated to include new liveries sporting invasion stripes depending on the time period, and several AI controlled ground vehicles have been added. These include the PzKpfw IV Ausf.H. Tank, Flakpanzer IV SPAA and a Gleaves-class destroyer. The update also features improvements to the damage model, Me 410, AI and tank crew among other changes.
Another important new feature, or new features, of the Battle of Normandy addition, are the planes it includes. The addition includes 10 new planes for the Premium Edition and 8 for the Standard Edition.
- Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib – British fighter/bomber,
- North American P-51B-5 Mustang – American long range fighter,
- Republic P-47D-22 Thunderbolt – American fighter/bomber,
- Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 Late – late version of the German fighter,
- Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-6 Würger – German fighter,
- De Havilland Mosquito F.B. Mk.VI ser.2 – British twin engine fighter-bomber,
- Messerschmitt Me 410 A-1 Hornisse – German twin engine fighter-bomber,
- Junkers Ju 88 C-6 – German twin engine heavy fighter,
- Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIV – British fighter (Collector Plane included in the Premium Edition),
- Arado Ar 234 B-2 Blitz – German twin engine jet bomber and recon aircraft (Collector Plane included in the Premium Edition).
IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Normandy can be picked up for $49.99 discounted price, normally $59.99) for the Standard Edition or $79.99 (discounted price, normally $89.99) for the Premium Edition. The game will also be coming to Steam in the coming weeks.