FlightFactor has announced the release of version 2 of their Airport Visual System for X-Plane on Facebook.
Airbus first developed the Onboard Airport Navigation System, or OANS, for the A380, and started to make the navigation system available on their A330 and A320 families in 2014. This system inspired FlightFactor to create a plugin that helps X-Plane users find their way around the sometimes complicated airports or changing ground layouts.
This OANS light system gives the user basic functionalities with an easy to use interface and interactive map. The plugin has the ability to build and optimize taxi routes interactively, as well as show all ground movements on an accurate moving map of the current airport including holding points, aprons, runways and other helpful airfield data. Multi-monitor support is built-in which allows you to use AVS in a pop-out window.
Changes in version 2 include a Navigraph interface to view charts, multi-monitor support with the use of the plugin in separate windows. FlightFactor has also updated the user interface and now automatically saves window states. Some features are first scheduled for a revision and have been temporarily removed, so you won’t find the NDB’s, VOR’s and ILS markers, but these will be reworked and added with a future update. A number of things have been rewritten such as the moving map, commands and menus used to operate AVS. Fixes include addressing the sometimes enormous loading times, issues with taxi lines and the inability to enter numbers in the ICAO entry box. When selected, sim traffic will be visible within the system as well.
AVS v2 is now available for the three platforms, Windows, Linux and Mac (64-bit only).
The upgrade to version 2 is free for current owners but you can purchase the FlightFactor Airport Visual System over on the X-plane Store for $24.95 including VAT.
- Sim traffic not showing when the corresponding option is selected
- Possible CTD in case of loading PDF files on Linux/Mac
- Possible huge loading time when AVS is installed
- Taxi lines and auxiliary lines scaling
- Inability to enter numbers in ICAO entry field
- Inverted depiction of windsocks
- Parsing airport data for airports using features from new APT specification
Additions & Updates
- Additional OS windows popup for loading PDF pages (Viewer page)
- Added support for new XP 11.50 TCAS datarefs
- Added multi-monitors support and ability to use AVS in separate OS window
- Added automatic saving of AVS window state (position and mode)
- Added Navigraph interface for charts viewing
- Added ability to select favourite folders in X-Plane directory tree (Viewer page), preferred folders will be saved between loadings
- Update some UI hints
- Updated add-on structure
- Updated plugin UI
- Updated interface for AVS moving map options
- AVS is no longer affects X-Plane loading time
- single plugin is now used instead of two separate
- Reworked AVS moving map depiction from scratch
- Reworked a set of provided commands/menus to operate AVS
- Make selected airports loading more convenient
- Make wind info displaying more usable
- Removed a few unreliably working features until better implementation in future updates (NDB-VOR-ILS markers, buildings, terrain)