Ready to join Maverick once the Top Gun: Maverick DLC will be released, DC Designs has released the classical Tomcat F-14 for MSFS. The F-14 is a plane that barely needs an introduction. It’s iconic variable sweep-wing design is easy to recongise and distinguish. And its versatility as well as carrier capability mean the plane has been dominating the skies for many years for the US Navy, before its replacement. If that’s not enough, the classic movie Top Gun introduced the plane to a much wider audience that will undoubtedly recognise Ghostrider’s aircraft.
DC Designs adaptation of the plane comes with an impressive list of features. It’s been build fully native for MSFS, using native MSFS API’s to make the plane compatible now and in the future. The plane uses native effects features, whilst making sure that plane characteristic behaviour is realistic. The team has also included several animations, such as the canopy, crew ladders, tail hook and other control surfaces. Furthermore, the plane comes with a lot of configurable options, and the crew helmets are fully customisable with names, flight suit patches and faces.
The package contains both the F-14A and F-14B, with each their own soundset. The aircraft is available from Just Flight for €29,95. A full featureset of the plane can be found at the end of this post.
- All models have been coded with Microsoft Flight Simulator native ‘Model Behaviors’ animations and built to MSFS operational specifications to prevent issues with future simulator upgrades.
- All custom cockpit instruments and screens are coded in HTML for native, high-performance display in MSFS
- The Tomcats make use of the new simulator’s features such as effects and sounds, fully reflective glass, native aerodynamic sound structures, the new ‘Modern’ aerodynamics system with the ability to provoke ‘departure spins’, and customised visibility controls for wheel chocks, covers, tie-down chains and GPU
- The Tomcats also contain custom-built and animated effects such as afterburners
- Full compressor-stall engine modelling and coding for the F-14A TF-30 engines
- Other features include authentic cockpit night lighting with brightness controls, which includes user-operated ‘slime lights’ for combat operations, and custom-coded manoeuvring flaps, slats and intake ramps, all based on aircraft airspeed and angle of attack
- Numerous external animations including canopy, crew ladders, tail hook and control surfaces
- The F-14 Tomcats are fully compliant with Virtual Reality headsets
- Full custom sound sets for both the TF-30-powered F-14A Tomcat and the GE-F110-powered F-14B Tomcat
- Truly 3D virtual cockpits featuring accurately modelled ejector seats, controls and detailed texturing
- All analogue instruments constructed in 3D with smooth animations
- Reflective rear-view mirrors
- ‘Scratched canopy’ glass effects, reflective glass, icing and rain effects
- Crew figures in the virtual cockpit are coded to disappear when you occupy their seats
- Front and rear cockpit positions included in both variants
- Fully customisable crew helmets, names, flight suit patches and even faces
- 3D modelled dials, ADI, ‘whiskey’ compass and other high-detail instruments designed to emulate the appearance of the real F-14 Tomcat
- Display screens with visual layouts based on the real aircraft’s systems (within the confines of MSFS’ current capability)
- Head-Up Display with authentic layout based on the real F-14A
- Custom-coded, user-controlled ordnance via the simulator Payload Manager, allowing for live mounting of weapons on hardpoints with active weight increase
- F-14 Tomcat systems include Direct Lift Control, CADC and basic ACLS
- The aircraft are compatible with the Hard Deck Simulations Aircraft Carrier Module
- VF-1 Wolfpack
- VF-41 Black Aces
- VF-84 Jolly Rogers
- VF-142 Ghostriders
- VF-143 Pukin’ Dogs
- VF-32 Swordsmen
- VF-213 Black Lions