Rochester Airport comes to life in Microsoft Flight Simulator with Burning Blue Design’s latest release.
Located in South East England on the periphery of London city, Rochester (ICAO code EGTO) has been an operational airfield since 1933 and boasts an impressive history for a grass strip airfield.
Once home to the Short Brothers, the first company in the world to make production aeroplanes, the airfield was targeted by the Luftwaffe in World War Two. Nowadays, the airport is home to the Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance and numerous flight schools, making it a constant hive of activity.
Burning Blue Design, who have brought a number of similar lesser-known airfields to MSFS, have an exceptional eye for detail, and their Rochester scenery is no different. Packed full of intricacies, the scenery is a treasure trove of hidden quirks ranging from nearby shopping centres, the airfield café and the RC model shop.
As in real life, sim pilots will find themselves wanting to peruse about the airfield, and indeed the local area, after setting down on one of Rochester’s grass runways.
The scenery comes with a custom working windsock, full night lighting across the airfield and around the hangars and buildings, as well as over 90 custom 3D objects exclusive to the airport.
According to the developers, “there are thousands of carefully placed stock assets, every cone, shed, fence post and weed, along with an assortment of ground workers has been placed in the correct location ensuring an atmosphere of a working airfield.”
You can purchase Burning Blue Designs Rochester Airport here for £10.79.
- Over 90 custom 3D objects each with PBR.
- High resolution colour corrected ground textures taken from Bing maps, manipulated for consistency and realism.
- Working custom Windsock.
- Actual based aircraft have been included around the airport.
- Full night lighting placed across the airfield and within and around the hangars and buildings.
- Correct AI pattern procedures and accurate taxiway and runway placement have been incorporated into the release.
- Surrounding area has been enhanced, including The Medway Innovation Centre, The Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance HQ building, BAE Systems Rochester, Horsted Retail park, the M2 motorway.