The developer 29Palms has released the airport Twentynine Palms Airport for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Twentynine Palms Airport (KTNP) is in San Bernardino County, California, United States and mostly sees general aviation traffic take off from its two main runways. It is also used for military operations and the mountainous terrain nearby also offers great flying conditions for those wanting to use a glider.
With 29Palms literally using the airport as the basis of their company name, they of course have added a huge amount of detail to the product. Alongside the numerous detailed models, there is a large amount of satellite imagery covering the whole area. It reaches a detailed resolution of 25cm/px and the 2K texturing helps ensure it all looks realistic within the simulator.
The airport also comes packed with custom objects. Over 100,000 hand-placed rocks, vegetation and other objects are placed across the scenery area. The rocks and veg can be controlled on/off via the Contrail app. The airport’s lighting equipment has been made to a high standard with the custom-made taxi, runway, hazard and rail lights created specifically for this airport.
As you explore Twentynine Palms Airport, you will discover animated 3D people, dynamic lighting and plenty of airport clutter. Despite the level of detail, 29Palms says that the airport performs well thanks to the amount of optimisation done throughout.
- Highly detailed rendition of Twentynine Palms Airport (KTNP), California
- Complete coverage of the airport and the surrounding area with high resolution satellite imagery (0.25m/px)
- Realistic night lighting using almost exclusively dynamic lights.
- High resolution textures (2048px²) with full PBR
- Over 100.000, hand-placed and custom-made rocks and vegetation objects
- Complete reconstruction of airport’s lighting equipment with realistic custom-made taxi, runway, rail lights, hazard lights and beacons.
- Animated 3D people, Eagle
- Numerous custom-made static objects and aircraft around the airport
- Excellent perfomance with high framerates due to optimizations
- Custom made animated windsock
- Rocks and vegetation can be de-activated individually using Contrail